COME VISIT OUR NEW ONLINE HOME!

Come visit us on our new Jewberly Emiris blog home!

All new content is over on www.jewberlyemiris.com

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Spring Halt! (er) Top Dress



April's theme for the stasthbusting group is Vibrant Color. This dress fits the bill!

The pattern is McCall's M6745.
It was my first time sewing a halter-top as well as double pleats. 

Now...about the double pleats. 

Because, I had never sewn (nor seen) double pleats. Mine didn't come out as good as I had hoped. After sewing them, I have a better understanding of the process. Next time around, they should be easier and better looking! :) 

This fabric has been in the stash for as long as I remember! 
Honestly, I didn't like it when the dress was in the planning stages. 
Thankfully, it has grown on me! 

Sadly, the fabric grain-line is slanted.
No. not diagonal. 
Slanted
Like a tablecloth slowly starting to slide off the table. Disappointingly, it did cause some wonky looking lines on the dress.

 My favorite part of the dress is probably the skirt! Circle skirts always make me want to twirl!



A few alterations to note:

1. Instead of using a hook & eye for the neck strap, I opted for two buttons.
I wanted to make sure the strap was really secure. Hook & eyes don't give me that feeling.

2. Made the neckline higher.
I cut the neckline about a half-an-inch higher than the pattern.

3. Put two upper darts in the back.
This was one of those "MOM!! What do I do about this!?!?!" solutions.
The bodice was gaping around my arms and back. 
She figured out, if we put an upper dart on each side of the back bodice it fixed the problem! 
Yay! Go Mom!!
I saw on Pinterest, that a white denim jacket is a essential to have in your closet! I have to agree! You can mix it with all sorts of pieces...like my new dress! 
The fabric, thread, zipper and even the buttons were all from the stash!

Happy Saturday!
-'- Jewel

Fabric busted on this project: 4 1/4 yards (3.8862 m)
Fabric busted since March 1st, 2015: 20 7/8 yards. (18.1737 m)
See my pledge and get more information on the 2015 Stashbusting Sewalong HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come visit us on our new Jewberly Emiris blog home!

All new content is over on www.jewberlyemiris.com

Blog design by Simply Saluma Designs