Come visit us on our new Jewberly Emiris blog home!

All new content is over on

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Aztec Reversible Skirt {Vintage Simplicity 7779...sort of}

I cut this project out on January 1st and it is officially finished!

Originally it was just going to take a weekend to sew up...that was before I decided to make it reversible...

Oh yes, the pattern is a basic A-line skirt with front and back darts, a center back zip, and seam.
But I couldn't decide which side of the fabric I wanted to be the "right side" for the public to see.

What does the crazy, overachiever person do?

Make a normal skirt [from a obvious leftover piece of vintage fabric, with no possibility of purchasing more if necessary] into a reversible skirt!

Side A (pictured above) has wooden buttons and pleats for waist shaping.

To make the pattern reversible, I turned the front into the back. 
I sewed the side seams at 3/8 of an inch and used the extra width for the button band.
 Then covered the side seam on Side B with satin ribbon.
In place of darts I made tiny, little pleats. (Next time I'll try something different; they look good on Side A but Side B they aren't my favorite look.)
Finally added a hem band for a clean finish and ...that's it!

Wow...writing it out makes it sound so much simpler than it actually was! 

Much of the time spent on the project was spent thinking over the ways to "hack" the pattern into a reversible skirt and working out the problems that doing so created. 

For example, I had to figure out in which order the steps needed to be sewed and they are as follows:
  1. Darts.
  2. Side Seams
  3. Tuxedo Stripes
  4. Button Band
  5. Waistband
  6. and finally the Hem Band.
This was to ensure the cleanest finish on both sides of the skirt.

Normally with a skirt, the seam allowance of the side seam just needs to be finished (to reduce raveling) because it will be hidden on the inside of the skirt. Making this skirt reversible meant the seams would be visible at times so I had to come up with a way to hide the seam allowance [wrong side of the side seam] that was visually interesting, aesthetically pleasing and also not take away from the garment.

Side B has basic gray buttons and a gray satin tuxedo stripe down the side seams.

The skirt is very versatile and can be dressed up (think business attire) or dressed down for a more casual feel just depending on the blouse and shoes you chose. 

The pattern is vintage 1968 Simplicity 7779.
The main fabric is from my Grandmother's stash and the waistband fabric was purchased at Calico House Fabrics specifically for this skirt.
The buttons are from JoAnn's.
I'm so excited that it came out exactly the way I was envisioning and hoped it would!

There are a ton of projects I'm planning, with some already in the works! I'm sure I'll be talking to you sooner than later! :)
-'- Jewel

Fabric used on this project: 1 3/4 yards
Fabric sewn in 2017: 15 3/4 yards

1 comment:

  1. I adore how your project came out. I think the extra time to make it right was really worth it.


Come visit us on our new Jewberly Emiris blog home!

All new content is over on

Blog design by Simply Saluma Designs