COME VISIT OUR NEW ONLINE HOME!

Come visit us on our new Jewberly Emiris blog home!

All new content is over on www.jewberlyemiris.com

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Mid-Century Sheets into Simplicity 1099 Skirt


What most people think when they see a set of sheets at a thrift store "Eww! Who in the world would buy used sheets??"

What Kimberly and I think "Hmmm. That's a nice print I wonder if there is enough fabric to make a skirt out of?"

That's exactly what we thought, when we found this mid-century full size sheet set at our favorite thrift store. We looked at each other and I put them in the basket.


The pattern Kimberly chose (Simplicity 1099) called for 7 5/8th yards of fabric and we got it out of $1 sheet set! If that's not a Thrift Store Score I don't know what is! Haha


Sewing this skirt has shown me something about my sewing preferences. Because of our long hair I prefer using buttons instead of hook and loops for the waistband closure. I've actually started making notes on different patterns to make the waistband longer to make space for a button and buttonhole.


Shhhh...Changes were made from the pattern
- Used a button instead of hooks and loops for the waistband closure.
- Cut two inches off of the length (Still included the 5' hem)
- Self-drafted a lining! My first time doing one and it worked! :)


 From the stash: 

- Full size sheet set for skirt fabric (Bought last month)
- 2 yards White Knit for lining (Gifted from my Grandmother's stash, last month)
- Button (Gifted from my Grandmother's stash, last month)
- Thread


Happy Saturday!
-'- Jewel


Fabric busted on this project: 9 7/8 yards (9.0297 m)
Fabric busted since March 1st, 2015: 47 5/8 yards. (43.5483 m)
See Jewel's pledge and get more information on the 2015 Stashbusting Sewalong HERE




We would love to hear from you! Say a quick "hello" in the comments before you go!


3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Looks like you love it too! Now you've got me itching to sew one of these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a really tacky and wonderful secondhand sheet last week at the thrift shop last week and left it there… I'm just starting to make my first fashion sewing item and I don't want any sort of stash until I discover whether I can make something wearable. If you saw my quilting fabric stash, you'd understand! I love that sheet as a skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous love this

    ReplyDelete

Come visit us on our new Jewberly Emiris blog home!

All new content is over on www.jewberlyemiris.com

Blog design by Simply Saluma Designs