Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Thrift Store Score - Red & Blue Moons in a White Sky Fabric (to Blouse)


This fabric didn't cost me fifty cents but five cents!
Yes, I found it at the sack sale. 

It sat in a drawer for two months because I had the hardest time figuring out what it should be.

When I was ready to sew again after TaMera's 1950's dress. I wanted to sew something semi-fast and easy!

What about a blouse?

I went to my drawer, saw this, and said to myself
"Now, that'll be a cute blouse!"

I choose to use Butterick B6185 and omitted the collar.

I feel like this blouse should be called the
"Try Everything Blouse".
(I almost used that as the title.)

See, I am a pattern follower.
But for this blouse I tried a bunch of stuff.

First I omitted the collar.
Easy, just skip the steps about the collar and go to the facing.

I wasn't done...

I wanted to have bias tape of the same fabric around the armholes.

I researched how to make bias tape. Knew it was going to be hard. (Because, I don't own a bias tape maker.) But, pressed on.

My mistake was cutting 1 inch wide strips.
(I should of cut 2 inch)
When I got it double folded it was 1/4 of an inch wide.
I tried to sew it on and for various reasons it didn't work.

It wasn't total waste because the fabric was leftover and I had a good lesson in bias tape making.

Instead of the bias tape, I rolled the armhole hems like the pattern had said.
(See, you don't follow the instructions and it doesn't turn out!! ;) )


My shorts are also a Thrift Store Score.  Found at Salvation Army for $2. 
The best part...the are Levi's! Aka, good quality. :)


I'll be sharing this necklace DIY on Saturday! Stay tuned!
-'- Jewel

Photography: TaMera

Fabric busted on this project: 1 yards (0.9144 m)
Fabric busted since March 1st, 2015: 29 1/4 yards. (26.7462 m)
See my pledge and get more information on the 2015 Stashbusting Sewalong HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by Simply Saluma Designs