Saturday, April 18, 2015

Spring Halt! (er) Top Dress



April's theme for the stasthbusting group is Vibrant Color. This dress fits the bill!

The pattern is McCall's M6745.
It was my first time sewing a halter-top as well as double pleats. 

Now...about the double pleats. 

Because, I had never sewn (nor seen) double pleats. Mine didn't come out as good as I had hoped. After sewing them, I have a better understanding of the process. Next time around, they should be easier and better looking! :) 

This fabric has been in the stash for as long as I remember! 
Honestly, I didn't like it when the dress was in the planning stages. 
Thankfully, it has grown on me! 

Sadly, the fabric grain-line is slanted.
No. not diagonal. 
Slanted
Like a tablecloth slowly starting to slide off the table. Disappointingly, it did cause some wonky looking lines on the dress.

 My favorite part of the dress is probably the skirt! Circle skirts always make me want to twirl!



A few alterations to note:

1. Instead of using a hook & eye for the neck strap, I opted for two buttons.
I wanted to make sure the strap was really secure. Hook & eyes don't give me that feeling.

2. Made the neckline higher.
I cut the neckline about a half-an-inch higher than the pattern.

3. Put two upper darts in the back.
This was one of those "MOM!! What do I do about this!?!?!" solutions.
The bodice was gaping around my arms and back. 
She figured out, if we put an upper dart on each side of the back bodice it fixed the problem! 
Yay! Go Mom!!
I saw on Pinterest, that a white denim jacket is a essential to have in your closet! I have to agree! You can mix it with all sorts of pieces...like my new dress! 
The fabric, thread, zipper and even the buttons were all from the stash!

Happy Saturday!
-'- Jewel

Fabric busted on this project: 4 1/4 yards (3.8862 m)
Fabric busted since March 1st, 2015: 20 7/8 yards. (18.1737 m)
See my pledge and get more information on the 2015 Stashbusting Sewalong HERE

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Thrift Store Score - Crochet Hooks and Case


I have taken up crocheting as a pastime. I call it a pastime because I enjoy crocheting but not as much I enjoy and love sewing. 
My favorite project to make is dishcloths! 

I was still really excited when TaMera pulled this out of the shelf and opened it up to reveal six crochet hooks and a pair of scissors!

The full case was $2! Less money than the one crochet hook I bought brand new! 


The scissors were made in Germany. The edging around the handles is spectacular!


The case may just be my favorite part! It was handmade and hand stitched. I admire the seamstress who made it. A fabulous job!
Smiles!
-'- Jewel

Friday, April 10, 2015

Easy Way To Save A Ripped Pattern Envelope

Tiffany and I went thrifting together earlier this year and I bought this pattern for her. 11¢ with tax! (Oh, yeah!) I'm hoping to make her one of these suits, sometime!

The pattern envelope was in really bad shape. Bad enough that I couldn't even get the pattern back into it. :-/ This wasn't going to work...

Time to figure out a solution.

I have to partly thank Patti for the solution.
(Patti donated the caftan pattern to her Salvation Army where I bought it in The Kearney Pattern Haul)
Miss Patti had her patterns in document envelopes and that's where I got my idea!

Supplies:
- Glue
- Scissors
- 6 x 9 inch envelope (I found 8 for a dollar at Dollar Tree) (Similar here)

Step 1: Remove everything from your pattern envelope.
The pattern pieces and instruction sheet. Everything should be out and set to the side.
Step 2: Cut the pattern envelope down the sides.  I followed the crease to get a nice cut. :)

I will now refer the pattern envelope as the front panel and the back panel.

Step three: Apply glue to the back of the front panel and lay it down on the front of your 6x9 envelope. Start from the middle as you press down to help keep from getting creases.

Step four: Repeat step three but with the back panel.

Step five: Simply, let your glue dry before putting the pieces and instruction sheets back in!

Tips: Because my envelope was so ripped I took some glue on a cotton swab and swept the glue over the rips and tears. This helps keep them from ripping more or completely off.
 And all the pieces fit again! I also redid the envelope of the caftan pattern and now it fits into my pattern box!
Happy Weekend,
-'- Jewel

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Thrift Store Scores - Raindrop Salt n' Pepper Shakers


Back in January 2014, (before Jewel started Thrift Store Score Tuesdays) we were in the town of Wahoo, Nebraska. We were going to the Nebraska Bridal Outlet Store looking for a wedding dress for Tiffany. She found a gorgeous one and across the street we also found a thrift store!


We found these adorable salt and pepper shakers (made in Japan). Their little faces captured Jewel's attention immediately but she let me buy them!

I need to help write posts more often… I'll try!
Talk to you soon (hopefully)!
~ Kimberly

Sunday, April 5, 2015

TaMera's Easter Outfit


The Monday before Palm Sunday, TaMera asked me to make her an outfit for Easter. 

We went to the stash, picked some fabric and chose a pattern that would work with the amount of the fabric. The pattern is Simplicity 1366 designed by Cynthia Rowley. 

I added the lining on the blouse and I also made the front of the skirt about two-three inches longer.

This skirt was really fun to sew! It is so different than any other skirt I have ever done!

When TaMera walks it has an amazing flow!

Happy Easter!
-'- Jewel


From the stash

- 1 1/2 yards floral fabric
- 4 yards red fabric
- red thread
- lining fabric

Had to purchase 

- 2 yards deep red cotton (for skirt lining)
- invisible zipper


Fabric busted on this project: 6 yards (5.4864 m)
Fabric busted since March, 1st 2015: 16 5/8 yards. (14.2875 m)
See my pledge and get more information on the 2015 Stashbusting Sewalong HERE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...